On a recent trip to Bangladesh, our technical manager Stephen Ridge was served up this delicious fish supper by top chef Kalam Miah of Saidowla. This recipe can be substituted with most freshwater fish from the continents of Asia and the like. Check out our 50 fish to try before you die post for some other great fish ingredient ideas. This recipe is very hot indeed so make sure you have that glass of water ready!
Boal Fish Steak Recipe Serves 2
Prep time: 30mins (Including defrosting of the boal steaks)
Cook time 20-30 mins depending on the thickness of the steaks.
Boal Steaks 500g (Our Product Code 14BBM)
Onion (Peeled and Sliced) 125g (Our Product Code 19ON5)
Green Chillis (Chopped) 5-6 pieces (Our Product Code 21GC)
Garlic (Peeled and Crushed) 5 cloves (Our Product Code 21GAR)
Salt (to taste) (Our Product Code 45TS)
Cumin Powder ¼ tsp (Our Product Code 43JP01)
Coriander Powder ¼ tsp (Our Product Code 43CRP01)
Water 1 cup
- Defrost boall steaks before cooking.
- Add a little oil to a wok, add the sliced onions, sweat onions until opaque.
- Then add the chopped chillies, peeled and crushed garlic cloves, salt (to taste), cumin powder , and coriander powder.
- Add the boal steaks to the other ingredients in the pan.
- Add a cup of water to the pan and cook until fish is tender and thoroughly cooked.
- Serve with rice and sides.
- All Ingredients used can be bought from most Masala Bazaar outlets.
‘Sweat Onions’ – To sweat an onion is to drawing out the moisture until the onions turn slightly opaque and soft but not coloured
Where To Buy Ingredients for your Hot and Spicy Fish Steak Recipe
Most of the ingredients for our recipes can be bought at one of our Masala Bazaar stores, or wholesale from Eurofoods. Click on the appropriate links in the recipe to find out more about the products used.