Rice – it’s one of the most commonly eaten foods around the world and is staple in our everyday diet. There are many different ways to cook rice, but here is a way to make sure you get that light and fluffy texture. Enjoy!
Basic Rice Recipe
- First measure 400g of basmati rice.
- Rinse it in warm water until the water runs clear, meaning you have washed away all the excess starch and dust.
- Now place your rice in a saucepan/rice cooker. Make sure that your pan is big enough as during the cooking process as the rice will expand, absorbing the water, and doubling in size.
- This rice will be served with an Indian curry, so we will be adding some Indian spices to the rice to add a little extra flavour.
- Take 3 cardamom pods and gently tear them open. This will allow the pods to release their flavour. Add them to the pan.
- Add 2 whole star anise; this will add a subtle aniseed flavour.
- Add 600ml water, cover with a lid and over a high heat bring the rice to the boil as quickly as possible. Turn the heat down to low and leave to gently simmer for 8-10 minutes. Don’t continually check the rice, as removing the lid releases all the steam. The steam actually helps make your rice light and fluffy.
- After 8 minutes of cooking turn off the heat and check the rice.
- You know it’s ready when all the water has been absorbed. If it needs a little more cooking time, place the lid back and allow the heat and moisture in the pan to help finish cooking it off.
- When the rice is ready, take a fork and gently toss and stir through the rice to fluff it up.
- Remove the cardamom pods and star anise and serve immediately.
Where To Buy The Ingredients.
All our ingredients can be purchased at www.masalabazaar.co.uk stores across the country.